- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas , drained (save the canning liquid!)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed (or, in pinch, 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dark (toasted) sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: sumac or paprika
- In a food processor, process the chickpeas (not the liquid!), lemon juice, olive oil, sesame oil, and cumin until well blended (stop and scrape down bowl as needed).
- With motor running, slowly drizzle in canning liquid, a little at a time, until very smooth and creamy (stop and scrape down bowl once or twice). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a small serving bowl and sprinkle with sumac or paprika, if desired.
- Category: Appetizer, Snack