- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1 small onion)
- 1 small boiling potato (about 4 or 5 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 1-pound bag frozen petite peas
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled)
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk (full-fat, well-stirred)–optional
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan set over moderate heat. Add the onion; cook and stir until about 2 minutes, or until softened. Add the potato and salt; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add the broth and water; simmer, covered, until potato is tender, about 12 minutes. Add the peas and tarragon, then simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes.
- Purée in batches in a blender (be careful blending the hot soup). Reheat soup and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle or swirl with coconut milk, if using.
*Tarragon Tidbits: Tarragon contains some Omega-3 fatty acids, has natural antimicrobial properties, and contains generous amounts of many nutrients, including vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium and trace minerals.
Storage: The soup keeps well in the refrigerator (covered) for 3-4 days. Or cool the soup completely and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Category: Soup
- Serving Size: 1/6 of soup
- Calories: 125
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.7 g
- Fiber: 5.3 g
- Protein: 6.4 g