- 3 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 and 3/4 cups finely chopped onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1–1/2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder (or smoked paprika)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 and 1/4 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt or nondairy yogurt (vegan or dairy allergies)
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a food processor coarsely pureé beans and tomatoes; set aside.
- Heat oil in large saucepan or pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the cumin, chipotle chile powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt; stir 1 minute. Stir in bean pureé, water and pumpkin until blended. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Just before serving, add lime juice. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve soup drizzled with yogurt and (optional) chopped cilantro.
Black Bean Nutrition Notes:Black beans have an enviable nutrient resume. Like other beans, they pack a punch when it comes to protein and fiber. On average, each cup features about 15 grams of both protein and fiber. That amount of protein is about the same as contained in two 8-ounce glasses of milk, but in the case of milk, there is no fiber to be found. Black beans also have small amounts of omega-3 fatty acids.
Black beans’ dark color adds an additional nutritional kick in comparison to other beans: Researchers have found that the rich, dark veneer on black beans packs at least 8 different flavonoids (flavonoids are color-producing phytonutrient pigments that have great anti-oxidant potential), much like blueberries, red grapes and pomegranate.
- Category: Soup, Dinner, Lunch
- Serving Size: 1-1/4 cups
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 460 mg
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.1 g
- Fiber: 6.8 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0.5 mg