- Enlightened Chocolate Truffles
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 10 ounces good-quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt (preferably fleur de sel)
- 1/2 cup good quality natural, unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place the nuts and cold water in a blender and blend at high speed for 2 minutes. Stop the blender and scrape down the sides. Blend at least 1-2 minutes longer until the mixture is smooth (mixture will be very thick; add 1-2 additional tablespoons water, if needed, to blend until smooth).
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a metal or glass bowl set over saucepan of simmering water until smooth. Remove bowl from heat and cool slightly. Stir in cashew cream, vanilla and salt until well-blended. Refrigerate truffle base (uncovered) until firm enough to roll, about 2-3 hours.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with waxed paper. Place the cocoa powder in a small shallow bowl.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of truffle base and roll between fingertips or palms into a ball.
- Drop each freshly made truffle into bowl of cocoa powder and turn to coat. Transfer to prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining truffle base and cocoa powder.
- Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Category: Dessert, Chocolate
- Calories: 57
- Sodium: 46.1 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.4 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0