Good morning, everyone! Hope this February day is going well so far.
Today’s post is short and sweet, or, more specifically crunchy, since it involves my new twist on salad.
Salad, or, more generally, vegetables, in the winter are challenging. New Year’s resolutions are made to eat more of them, but one can only eat so many root vegetables before craving something fresh and crisp. But what to make? I cannot cozy up to mesclun salad when it is cold, grey and drizzly.
Crunch and substance are in order, so that’s what I’ve done with my recipe today, which relies on mid-winter vegetables for the former and chickpeas for the latter. Add a bright lime & ginger dressing, and I think you’ll find that this easy salad is exactly what you need to get back on board the vegetable band wagon.
The chickpeas and veg hang out in the dressing, refrigerated, until you’re ready to add the spinach. This means this salad is great for several days of lunches or side dishes (simply add the spinach when you’re ready to eat).
If you are new to jicama, you’re in for a treat! It is crisp, crunchy, and naturally sweet. It is high in fiber and an assortment of phytonutrients, plus super-low in calories (despite its sweetness, it is very low on the glycemic index). You will need to peel off the papery brown skin (like a potato skin), but then just cut it into strips. Easy!
Happy eating, everyone!Print
Make-ahead, mid-winter salad with crunchy vegetables, protein (chickpeas), and a bright, tropical dressing.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nextar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 red pell pepper, seeded, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 cup matchstick-size strips peeled jicama
- 1 cup matchstick/large shred carrots (I bought ready-to-use)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 6 ounce package baby spinach (about 6 cups)
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, lime zest, maple syrup, mustard, ginger and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl EXCEPT the spinach, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 3 days.
- When ready to serve, add spinach, tossing to coat. Eat!
- Category: Salad