A quick and healthy skillet supper made in under 30 minutes, featuring quinoa, mushrooms and kale. It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper (orange, yellow, or red), chopped
- 16 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, trimmed, quartered
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 packed cups torn kale (bite-size pieces), tough stems removed
- fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms; cook and stir for 3 minutes longer.
- Add the quiona and broth to the skilet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, 14 to 15 minutes, or until most (but not all) of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the kale. Cover and let stand until liquid is absorbed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve!
- Category: Entree