- 1–3/4 cups whole grain spelt flour OR white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds (flax meal)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup natural cane sugar OR packed organic light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed OR 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 2/3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 large, very ripe bananas)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5-inch Pyrex baking pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour (e.g., Bakers Joy).
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, flax, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl beat the coconut oil and sugar with an electric mixer set at medium speed until blended. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the banana, yogurt, and vanilla until just blended. Stir in the flour mixture by hand until just blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Invert onto wire rack, turn upright, and cool completely. Makes 14 slices/servings.
This bread, like any quick bread, can be made in less time by making it as muffins.It will make about 14 standard size muffins, and you’ll only need to bake them about 20 minutes. A gentle reminder before you begin baking: when adding the flour mixture to the banana mixture, stir as little as possible—overmixing is what can cause a gummy texture. But if you mix just until the flour is incorporated, you’ll have a perfectly tender bread.
- Category: Quick Bread