- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup almond meal or flour (either will work)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup melted virgin coconut oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Optional garnish: sifted cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper and lightly spray or grease.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the water, flaxseed meal, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the almond meal, and cocoa powder to bowl, stirring until blended and smooth, then stir in the coconut oil and baking powder until blended.. Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until just set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Remove from pan using parchment and cut into 12 brownies.
Tip: I do not add the coconut oil with the other liquid ingredients because it will re-solidify–the little solid bits will be almost impossible to break up with a spoon! Add it at the end and it will blend right in.
Storage: store he brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 9.9 g
- Sodium: 80 mg
- Fat: 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg