- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1–1/4 cups plain almond milk (or nondairy milk of choice)
- 5 tablespoons virgin coconut oil (or vegan margarine), melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 medium plums, sliced or quartered
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Dissolve yeast in tablespoon warm water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir in the almond milk, melted coconut oil, vanilla, yeast mixture, and orange zest. Mix until combined (the dough should be fairly stiff).
- Spoon the batter into a 9-inch cake pan that has been greased and floured. Arrange plums atop batter. If desired, sprinkle with a bit more sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top and puffed around the plums, or until tester comes out clean.