Chickpea flour gingerbread cake is a holiday miracle! It is vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, and easy to make with pantry ingredients. No one will guess that is made from chickpeas.
- 2 and 1/2 cups (300 g) chickpea flour, sifted to get out any lumps
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil (preferred oil)
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 and 1/3 cups coconut sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- Optional: confectioner’s sugar, for dusting the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Spray a 10-inch Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and cloves.
- In a large bowl, whisk the coconut oil and boiling water until the oil is melted. Add the coconut sugar, applesauce, and molasses, whisking until blended.
- Add the chickpea flour mixture to the sugar mixture, whisking until blended and smooth. Pour into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes until a long skewer inserted in a deep part of the cake comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool 15 minutes before inverting on a rack to remove the cake. Cool completely.
- Dust the cooled cake with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Storage: Store the cooled cake in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/16 of cake
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 27 g
- Sodium: 185.7 mg
- Fat: 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.2 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, gingerbread, chickpea flour, egg-free, dairy-free, chickpea flour gingerbread, grain-free vegan gingerbread