The resolutions I made in January, and haven’t been keeping, have a second chance, because today marks the start of the Thai New Year, Songkran.
Songkran is an ancient celebration of the start of a new farming cycle, and it always falls sometime between the 10th and the 18th of April; this year, the celebration starts on the thirteenth (today!) and lasts for three days.
To inaugurate the festivities here at Power Hungry, I offer a Thai-inspired lime, coconut and ginger no-bake pie that is actually vegan! It is also scandalously delicious.
Although this pie is packed with nutritious ingredients, I may have to being my renewed resolutions in a few days, once this pie is gone :).
If you are wondering how it’s possible to make a luscious, creamy, no-bake pie without any dairy, the answer in this case is raw cashews. They are soaked until very soft, then pureed into a rich luscious cream that can be used for all kinds of purposes, including pie.
The cashews can be blended with water or any variety of nondairy milk to make the cream. For this Thai-inspired pie, I chose coconut milk (the canned variety).
Once the cashew cream is prepared, making the pie filling is as simple as stirring in some flavor, specifically, ginger and lime, plus maple syrup for sweetness. The filling is poured into a grain-free crust (made with coconut and almond).
After a few hours of chilling, your dream pie is ready for eating. Happy Thai New Year!
- 1 cup unsweetened flake coconut
- 2/3 cup whole almonds
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight in water, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons lime zest, divided
- 1 13.5-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon agar agar flakes
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350F. a food processor, pulse the coconut and almonds until chopped fairly fine. Add the coconut oil; continue to pulse until mixture comes together. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan.
- Bake the crust for 11 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Cool completley on a wire rack.
- Filling: In a high speed blender, puree all of the filling ingredients, except for about 2 teaspoons of lime zest, until completely blended and smooth (stop to scrape down sides of blender several times).Scrape into cooled crust, smoothing the top.Sprinkle with reerved lime zest.
- Cover the pie and refrigerate for at least 8 hours until set.
- Category: Dessert