Oil-free chocolate granola is exactly what your morning (and snacking) routine needs! It is also naturally vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 cups rolled oats (certified GF, as needed)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened flaked or shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped nuts or seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup crispy brown rice cereal (GF version of Rice Krispies)
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, coconut and nuts/seeds.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the water, coconut sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Bring to a boil, whisking, until blended and smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes longer (sugar should be completely dissolved). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, if using. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour cocoa mixture over oat mixture, stirring to coat. Stir in the crisp rice cereal, stirring to coat. Spread in a thin even layer on the prepared baking sheet (do not space apart, press mixture together into a rectangle to promote clusters).
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until granola is completely dry (do not stir). Remove from oven and cool completely on baking sheet.
- Break up granola into pieces with hands or a wooden spoon. Store in an airtight container.
Storage: Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 11.7 g
- Sodium: 162.5 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.8 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: oil-free granola, oil-free, chocolate, cocoa, granola, vegan, high-fiber, gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free