My plant-based version of macaroni and cheese, made with a cashew cream sauce.
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni or penne pasta (regular or gluten-free)
- 1 and 1/2 cups raw cashews (soaked overnight or boiled 15 minutes, drained)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk (I used almond)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup finely chopped, oil-packed sundried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease or spray a large casserole dish or 6 small casserole dishes.
- Cook the pasta. as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, puree the cashews, milk, nutritional yeast, pumpkin, lemon juice, mustard, salt, turmeric, and nutmeg until completely smooth and creamy (stop and scrape down sides of blender periodically), adding a bit more milk if needed. Season to taste with pepper.
- Drain pasta; return to pot and stir in cheese sauce to coat, adding sundried tomatoes and parsley, if desired. Spoon into prepared dish/dishes, and sprinkle with (optional) crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until crumbs are golden brown. Serve warm.
- Category: Entree