Vegan cashew crème brulee is your new favorite dessert! Made without eggs, dairy or soy, it is a healthy new take on a French classic.
- 3/4 cup (4 oz/115 g)raw cashews
- 1 can (13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) natural cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch (see notes for options)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional: large pinch of ground turmeric (for yellow color)
- Additonal cane sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C). Spray or lightly oil four small (6 ounce) ramekins or ceme brulee dishes. Place the ramekins in a shallow baking dish.
- Place the cashews in a small bowl; cover with boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Place the drained cashews, coconut milk, sugar, tapioca starch, vanilla, salt, and optional turmeric in a blender. Blend on high speed until completely smooth.
- Pour the cashew mixture into a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Cook and whisk for for about 3 to 4 minutes until small bubbles appear and the mixture thickens slightly.
- Evenly divide the creme brulee mixture into the prepared ramekins. Fill the shallow dish with hot water until it reaches halfway up the ramekins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 33 to 38 minutes until the puddings are just set (they should jiggle slightly when moved).
- Remove the puddings from the water bath and cool completely on a wire rack. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill until cold (at least 4 hours or up to overnight).
- When ready to be served, sprinkle each crème brulee with a layer of sugar about 1/8 inch thick and caramelize with a kitchen torch, the torch quickly over the sugar until it is caramelized (see notes for using broiler instead). Serve immediately.
Tip: Regular granulated sugar can be used in place of the natural cane sugar.
Broiler Tip: If you do not have a torch, you can caramelize the sugar under the broiler. Position a rack to the highest place in the oven (4 to 6 inches from heat source) and preheat broiler to HIGH. Place the chilled crème brulees on a baking sheet and top with sugar, as directed. Broil, watching closely, for 30 to 90 seconds until the sugar is caramelized. Serve.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 creme brulee
- Calories: 405
- Sugar: 27.7 g
- Sodium: 169.6 mg
- Fat: 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: creme brulee, cashews, soy-free, egg-free, oil-free, dairy-free, vegan, vegan creme brulee, vegan pudding, cashew pudding, cashew cream, egg-free creme brulee