I know that fall and winter holidays are touted as the ideal time for cooking and entertaining, but the pressure and the presents, not to mention the dark, cold days, make the prospect daunting, the tasks overwhelming.
But give me some sunshine, flip-flops and a grill, and I’m ready for a great time, anytime, with little to no planning (and similarly, little to no housekeeping—I just herd everyone and everything outside). With the long, lazy, hot days of August, I can think of few things better than impromptu gatherings of friends, coupled with simple cooking, to celebrate the season.
It is truly the hottest point of the summer here in Texas, so it is as good a time as any to let the gorgeous produce of the season do most of the work when it comes to meals. For example, this vibrant corn salad, inspired by the street corn in neighboring Mexico. We have some friends coming over for an easy grilling get-together, and this dish is a perfect accompaniment.
A friend brought some corn from her farm that was so sweet and fresh, I decided it would be criminal to cook it. So I simply husked it and cut it off the cob before adding to my salad bowl.
The remaining ingredients are likewise raw, hence the entire recipe comes together in about 15 minutes. Lime juice and salt are key to bringing all of the flavors together, so don’t skimp on either. And while this salad is great as soon as you make it, it is exponentially better if you give it a short rest in the refrigerator, which allows all of the flavors to marry in harmony.
Happy no-cooking, everyone!Print
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 6 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 or 6 large ears of corn)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional, but highly recommended)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno (more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a medium bowl, soak the onions in cold water for at least 30 minutes; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, corn, and tomatoes. In a small covered jar, vigorously shake the oil, lime zest, nutritional yeast, jalapeno, cumin, coriander and salt until blended; pour over vegetables in bowl. Toss to combine.
- Loosely cover and refrigerate salad for at least 30 minutes before serving. Toss in the cilantro just ebfore serving.
- Category: Salad, Side Dish