I’ve been feeling guilty at the end of my yoga sessions of late. I am refreshed and rejuvinated by the final savasana and the caramel alto of my superwoman-of-an-instructor Amy’s voice. But then she asks us to wish for peace and harmony of all living creatures.
And there’s the rub–because from late spring to early fall, I carry a death wish for mosquitoes.
It’s this: I am a mosquito magnet. Kevin gets nary a bite, even when they are swarming. It’s just not
Noxious sprays have little effect on my mosquito deliciousness, so I’ve been taking an internal route this summer: eating to avoid the pesky beasts.
According to the research, both garlic and foods rich in potassium can make me unpalatable to the pests. I decided that no one (including me) would be interested in a garlicky banana recipe, so I settled on another potassium rich food for my garlic pairing: avocados. In addition to being creamy and delicious, one avocado has about twice the amount of potassium as a banana.
I have been eating plain avocado toast for a few months (mashed with some lemon, then spread on toast), but I decided to add some white beans to this version, to up my morning protein and accompany the garlic I was adding.
Oh my goodness. I have high hope for this recipe as my new mosquito repellent, but in the meantime, it’s my favorite new power breakfast. I hope you give it a try!
- 1/2 cup drained and rinsed canned white beans (I used cannellini since they are very creamy)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1 medium, ripe Haas (California) avocado, peeled and pitted, cut into chunks
- fine sea salt to taste
- 2 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- In a small bowl, mash the beans, lemon juice, garlic and HALF of the avocado with a fork until smooth.
- Add remaining avocado to bowl; coarsely mash until just combined (leave some chunks). Season to taste with salt.
- Divide mixture evenly between pieces of toast, spreading evenly.
Make it Portable: Simply turn this into a sandwich! 🙂 Delicious to go.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack, Lunch