Overnight brown rice porridge (made in a slow cooker) is an easy, delicious way to up your whole grains game first thing in the morning! It has everything you need to refuel after an early morning run or power you through a long day ahead!
- 1 cup medium-grain or short-grain brown rice
- 3 cups (500 ml) nondairy milk (any variety)
- 3 cups (500 mL) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup golden flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Suggested Topping Ideas: Fruit (fresh, frozen, dried), chopped nuts or seeds, chilled nondairy milk, sweetener (e.g., maple syrup, coconut sugar, brown sugar), chocolate (grated, chips, or cacao nibs), spices (a sprinkle of cinnamon, cardamom, pumpkin pie spice, etc.)
- In a slow cooker, combine the rice, nondairy milk, water, coconut sugar, and salt. Set the cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.
- Open the lid to the slow cooker after 8 hours. Stir the porridge (vigorously!) for at least 1 minute to further break down the rice.
- Stir in the flaxseed meal and vanilla. Serve in bowls topped with any of the suggested toppings!
Storage: Store any leftover (cooled) porridge in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Re-warm by the bowlful in the microwave,
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 and 1/3 cups
- Calories: 238
- Sugar: 8.3 g
- Sodium: 375.7 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.4 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 7.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: sweet brown rice porridge, slow cooker porridge, oatmeal alternatives, slow cooker brown rice porridge, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, oil-free, egg-free