I’ve been giving away as much cake as I can, and limiting my consumption to “test bites,” but in sum, it’s still a lot of cake. If you are reading, and live nearby, will you please take some cake? I am very serious.
My neighbors, and certainly my husband and Nick, are weary of cake. Nick watched an episode of Sid the Science kid this morning on PBS wherein it’s Sid makes a birthday wish to eat cake all day, every day. Nick quipped “He’ll be sorry.”
In the meantime, sweet potato chili. It’s spicy. It’s quick. It’s easy. It’s delicious. And best of all, it’s not cake. Two shortcuts I took to get this dinner to the table quickly: (1) frozen chopped onions (they exist! Find them in the freezer section with other frozen vegetables; and (2) garlic powder instead chopped garlic. Even if you’re good with chopping, sometimes you simply need to expedite dinner asap.
Ward off the chills, and dive in headlong, as this easy chili will warm you through and through!Print
To save time, I sometimes use 1-1/4 cups frozen chopped onions (they are shelved with the other frozen vegetables and are very inexpensive). No need to thaw before using!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans (each 14 to 19 oz/398 to 540 mL) kidney beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (each 10 oz) diced tomatoes with chiles, with juice (such as Ro-Tel)
- 1–1/3 cups ready-to-use vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until softened. Add sweet potatoes, chili powder, cumin; and garlic powder; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes with juice, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, leaving lid ajar, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are very tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: Dinner, Lunch