Cozy up to a bowl of my 3 ingredient, super-velvety carrot and red lentil soup! It is vegan, oil-free, and decadent tasting, but only 108 calories per serving.
When the going gets tough, the tough make soup for dinner.
It’s been a long week for a variety of reasons, but a definite plus is that the weather is finally getting cooler and (marginally) resembles fall. I enjoy the warm weather, but I am decidedly weary of summertime-style eating. So, to make the week lighter and lovelier, I made an autumn-colored, super-easy carrot and lentil soup.
(For the record, I also ate heaps of bread (specifically naan) alongside. Because the tough also eat bread :)).
This soup is so simple but has a dreamy texture (velvet!) and glorious flavor (sweet, fresh, umami). Beyond water and salt, you only need red lentils, carrots and an onion to make it.
I use red lentils, which are typically sold split, instead of more common brown lentils. Red lentils are common in Indian cooking (e.g., for making dal) and cook in about 15 to 20 minutes. I love fast food. They also turn from a pinkishhue to yellow when cooked, which is perfect for enhancing the color of the carrots.
Simply simmer the carrots (chop them or shred them) along with the lentils and an onion until the lentils and carrots are falling apart.
Cozy up to a bowl of my 3 ingredient, super-velvety carrot and red lentil soup! It is vegan, oil-free, decadent tasting, but only calories per serving.
- 7 cups (1.75 L) water
- 1 and 1/3 pounds (600 g) carrots, coarsely chopped or grated
- 1 medium-large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup split red lentils
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (more or less to taste)
- Options: see notes for ideas for additional seasonings, as desired
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the carrots, onion, lentils and salt to pan; return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, partially cover, nd cook for 20 to 25 minutes until carrots and lentils are falling apart.
- Transfer soup to a high speed blender (one that can puree hot foods) and puree until smooth. Add more water, as needed, to reach desired consistency.
- Return soup to saucepan and rewarm over low heat.
Storage: Store the cooled soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Flavoring ideas: This soup is wonderful as it is, but it is easy to add additional flavors, too. For example, 1 to 2 teaspoons of any of the following dry spices or herbs along with the salt: curry powder, turmeric, chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, ground ginger, Italian herbs, rosemary, thyme (1/2 to 1 teaspoon), or herbes de Provence.
You can also add a sprinkle of fresh herbs (such as cilantro or parsley, as I did in the photos) or a swirl of sriracha to the finished bowls of soup.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Serving Size: About 1 and 1/4 cups (325 mL)
- Calories: 108
- Sugar: 4.6 g
- Sodium: 201 mg
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.6 g
- Fiber: 7.6 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: soup, 3 ingredients, vegan, easy, blender, red lentils, carrots, lentils, healthy