My intent was to develop a number of recipes this week that were Halloween-y, yet healthy. All things orange and black came to mind, and carrots–so affordable, familiar, and likely to be in the refrigerator crisper already for so may people–were at the top of my list. Most often, carrots play a supporting role, but why not give these modest beauties a chance on center stage?
I played with the idea of a roasted carrot puree, but…it didn’t seem versatile enough for Halloween festivities. But what if I made a dip? I planned on using olive oil and a bit of butter, but I didn’t like the idea of excluding vegan and non-dairy friends. But then it hit me: tahini. The nuttiness would counterbalance the sweetness of the roasted carrots beautifully. A bit of spice and some roasted garlic, too…I was pretty sure it would be fantastic.
I love being right (just ask Kevin). Happy Halloween!Print
- 1 pound carrots (about 6 large), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 cloves garlic (skins still on)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2–1/2 tsp ground cumin, divided use
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- juice and grated zest of 2 medium lemons
- 3/4 cup milk (non-dairy or dairy)–more or less as needed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (hot or sweet), plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. In a roasting pan or on a large rimmed baking sheet, combine the carrots and garlic with the oil, 1-1/2 tsp cumin, and salt. Roast the carrots, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 25 to 30 minutes.Cool, then squeeze garlic out of their skins.
- In a food processor, pulse the carrots and garlic until chopped. Add the tahini, lemon juice, and lemon zest; pulse until blended. Add the milk, smoked paprika, and remaining cumin; pulse until smooth, adding more milk if necessary.
- Transfer hummus to bowl. Drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of smoked paprika.
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 47
- Sugar: 2.0 g
- Sodium: 89 mg
- Fat: 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.5 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 1.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg