- 2–1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup cracked freekeh (bulgur will work, too)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
- 1–1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey (agave for vegans)
- 2 large peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1–1/22 cups packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts or almonds
- In a medium sauce over medium high heat, bring water and salt to a boil; add the freekeh. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, fluff and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice and honey.
- To the cooled freekeh, add the peaches and cranberries; season to taste with salt and pepper. If serving right away, add the basil and nuts; otherwise, refrigerate and add remaining ingredients just before serving.
- Category: Salad, Side-dish