Socca is the easiest bread you could ever hope to make! Only 2 ingredients (besides water and sat), it is naturally vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, and extremely versatile (snacks, appetizers, breakfast, side-dish).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, warm water, HALF of the olive oil, and the salt until blended and perfectly smooth (break up any small lumps).
- Cover and let batter stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or refrigerate for up to 24 hours).
- When ready to cook, position oven rack to 6 inches below broiler. Preheat oven to 450F. Place a 9-inch or 10-inch cast iron skillet on the top rack.
- When the oven reaches 450F and the skillet is very hot, add the remaining oil; let heat for 30 seconds, then add the batter. Cook for 7 to 9 minutes until set and the socca is pulling away for the edges of the pan.
- Keep the skillet in the oven. Switch the oven setting to Broil (HIGH). Broil for 1 to 4 minutes, checking regularly, until dark golden brown at edges and browned in spots on the surface of the socca.
- Remove from oven (be careful skillet will be very hot) and cut into wedges. Serve warm.
Storage: Store the cooled socca wedges in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Rewarm for 15 to 30 seconds in the microwave, or in a hot skillet on the stovetop.
Warm water: Warm water is not essential, but it will make it much easier to blend the batter and break up any lumps or bumps.
- Serving Size: 1 wedge
- Calories: 90
- Sugar: 1.3 g
- Sodium: 123.6 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.6 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg