I wish I could say that I am an organized traveler, but in practice I am an erratic traveler, hyper-organized in some respects, and a complete disaster in others.
For example, I’ll : (1) agonize for days over what to pack, then throw everything into the suitcase in an unceremonious heap; (2) meticulously gather all the family power cords needed for the trip (phones, ipad, laptop, cameras, DS), then stuff them in random tangle in a soon-forgotten hidden pocket of my carry-on bag; and (3) ensure everyone has the precise comforts required for a relaxed ride (i.e., sleep mask, travel pillows, ear plugs, sound machine, lovies) and omit any such options for myself.
Worst of all, I never seem to learn.
Except when it comes to travel food.
I’m proud to say I’ved honed my healthy, non-perishable snack-packing skills to a science, a skill-set that goes a long way in keeping grumpies at bay (mostly my own, but husband and son, too), my stomach at ease, and my mind at rest. In addition, I have that much more money left over for Christmas gifts by avoiding five dollar bags of pretzels and trail mix at the airport.
If you would similarly like to save your sanity, waistline and moola in the travel days and weeks to come, check out my list of non-perishable healthy snacks–there’s something for everybody who’s hitting the road this week! Or try my latest creation, Energy Munch Mix. You can eat it straight up, spoon it into yogurt, or sprinkle it atop instant oatmeal. And if you are looking for a super-easy, early present for a fitness-conscious friend, mix up a batch, pour into a pretty mason jar, adorn with a bow, and you’ve got a great gift in minutes!
Happy travels, everyone!Print
- 1 cup whole almonds (raw or roasted), coarsely chopped
- 1 cup walnuts (raw or toasted), coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup (packed) whole pitted dates (preferably Medjool), chopped
- 1/2 cup pepitas (green pumpkin seeds–raw or roasted)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (raw or toasted)
- (optional) 3 tbsp cacao nibs or miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl; store in jar(s), zipper-top bag or other airtight container.
- Category: Snack
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup