Vegan yellow split pea soup is a healthy, protein-packed, and frugal soup that is delicious and satisfying! It can also be made with green split peas or yellow lentils.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 and 1/3 cups dried yellow split peas, rinsed
- 6 and 3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more to taste)
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley or dill, divided
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and pepper; cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in peas, 6 cups water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35 to 40 minutes or until peas are very tender.
- Transfer 1 cup of the soup solids to food processor. Add remaining 3/4 cup water and process until smooth. Return purée to pan and stir in half the parsley or dill, if using. Simmer, stirring often, for 5 minutes to blend the flavors, thinning soup with water if too thick. Serve sprinkled with the remaining parsley or dill.
- Tip: An equal amount of dried yellow lentils or green split peas may be used in place of the yellow split peas.
- Storage Tip: Store the cooled soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in the microwave using the Defrost function. Warm soup in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 417 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.8 g
- Fiber: 12.8 g
- Protein: 11.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: split peas, vegan soup, easy, frugal, yellow split peas, plant protein, vegan protein, easy vegan soup, clean eating, clean eats