- 1/4 cup raw green pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets (save stems for soups or slaw)
- 1 bunch kale, center ribs removed, washed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 large head Romaine, washed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 large avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- Optional: 1/2 cup crumbled soft goat cheese (leave off for Paleo or vegan)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried tarragon leaves
- 1 tsp honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp EACH fine sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Salad: Place the pepitas in a medium, dry skillet. Set the skillet over medium high heat and toast the pepitas, shaking pan lightly, for 1-2 minutes until the seeds puff up, smell fragrant, and make a popping sound. Transfer to a dish to cool.
- Prepare steamer; steam the broccoli for 1-2 minutes until bright green (alternatively, blanch the broccoli for 30 seconds in a saucepan of boiling water). Transfer broccoli to a colander and run under cold water to cool; pat dry thoroughly with clean dish towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, kale, lettuce, celery, avocado and optional goat cheese.
- Dressing: Place all of the dressing ingredients in a lidded container or jar; secure the lid then shake vigorously to combine. Pour over salad, gently tossing to coat. Sprinkle with the pepitas and serve.
Be sure to dry the broccoli thoroughly as noted in the recipe; water that is left clinging to the broccoli will dilute the dressing, as well as make the salad soggy.