Shake up your breakfast cereal routine with grain-free red lentil granola! It is high in protein & fiber, & frugal too!
- 1 and 1/3 cups uncooked split red lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom or cinnamon (or spice blend of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts or seeds, (e.g., pecans, sunflower seeds, walnuts, pepitas)
- Optional: 1 cup unsweetened flake or shredded coconut
- Optional: 1 cup chopped dried fruit (any variety)
- Preheat oven to 300F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway full of water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the lentils and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring once or twice, for exactly 6 minutes. Drain thoroughly and pat dry (in the colander) with a paper towel. Spread evenly onto prepared baking sheet.
- Place the lentils in the oven for 15 minutes to steam and dry.
- Meanwhile, whisk the maple syrup, oil, vanilla, cardamom, and salt in a large bowl until blended. Add the lentils, stirring to coat. Respray the same baking sheet with cooking spray and spread evenly with the coated lentils.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Stir in the seeds or nuts. Continue baking for 45 to 50 minutes longer, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until browned and crispy. If using coconut, stir in during final 15 minutes of the cooking time.
- Cool completely on sheet on a wire rack. Stir in dried fruit, if using. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
(1) Sadly, brown and green lentils do not work in this recipe. Because they are much thicker (they are not split) than red lentils, they do not become crisp. The result is very unappetizing.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 14.1 g
- Sodium: 137 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: red lentils, granola, grain-free granola, grain-free lentil granola, vegan, gluten-free, frugal