- 1 cup rolled oats (old-fashioned or quick-cooking)–GF if needed
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (semi-packed) cup whole, pitted dates
- 1/2 cup natural, unsweetened nut or seed butter of choice
- 1/2 cup plain nondairy or dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silpat, or lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, process the oats to a fine powder. Add the flaxseed meal and baking soda; pulse to combine.
- Add the dates to the processor bowl; process until the dates are very finely chopped. Add the nut butter, milk and vanilla; pulse, using on/off pulses, until well-blended. If adding chocolate chips or fruit, transfer dough to medium bowl and stir in one of the options.
- Scoop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Dip the tines of fork in water and gently flatten each cookie.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes in the preheated oven until edges are golden brown. Cool 1 minute on sheets, then transfer to wire rack with spatula and cool completely.
Super-Dry/Tough Dates: If your dates feel like they have been unearthed from an Egyptian tomb, give them a 5 minute soak in warm water. Drain, then proceed with the recipe.
No Flaxseed? No problem: If you do not have flaxseed meal, you can use an equal amount of additional rolled oats, or or wheat germ, chia seeds, or…just about anything you like!
Even Better after a Day: If you can hold out, wait a day before eating (all/some of) the cookies. Unlike butter-rich cookies, which are best day of baking, these are even more flavorful on day two and three and four.
Storage: Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temp or freeze for up to 1 month (thaw at room temp).
- Category: cookies, power bar, snack
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 82
- Sugar: 8.2 g
- Fat: 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 11.8 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0