- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1–1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup pomegranate arils
- Leaves from 1 bunch flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- Roast Brussels sprouts: Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss Brussels sprouts with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange, cut sides down, on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast 40 to 45 minutes, without turning, until outer leaves are tender and very dark brown. Cool to room temp on sheet.
- Cook Quinoa: Meanwhile, bring the water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes (with lid still on). Transfer to a large bowl, fluff with a fork and let cool.
- Finish Salad: Add the cooled Brussels sprouts to quinoa in bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, chickpeas, pomegranate and parsley; toss to combine. Season (generously) with salt and pepper. Serve, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Trim the root end from Brussels sprouts and cut off any loose, thick outer leaves, then rinse well to remove any grit that may have gathered under loose leaves.
Removing Pomegranate Seeds/Arils: It’a snap when you do it underwater! Takes about 3 minutes, and no juice stains! Here is a video showing how it is done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qfQ3_N7S6Y
- Category: salad