Healthy, easy and amazing cashew mayonnaise! Made with 4 ingredients (plus water and salt), it is oil-free, vegan, and Paleo. Use it in any and all recipes calling for mayonnaise.
- 1 cup (4 oz/112 g) raw cashews
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cold water (more, as needed)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (more or less, to taste)
- Place the cashews in a mason jar or glass bowl. Add 2 cups (500 mL) boiling water. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes until very plump. Drain and rinse the cashews.
- In a small food processor or handheld blender (i.e., bullet-style blender), process the cashews, water, lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder, and salt.
- Stop and scrape the sides and bottom of container multiple times until the mixture is very smooth creamy-looking, and the consistency of mayonnaise (be patient, this will take a good amount of stopping, starting, and scraping–about 3 to 4 minutes).
- If desired, add more water for a looser mayonnaise. Taste the mayonnaise and add more salt, mustard, garlic power or lemon juice as desired.
Storage: Store the mayonnaise in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Freezing is not recommended.
Overnight Soaking: If you prefer, soak the cashews in 2 cups cold water, at room temperature for 8 hours instead of using the quick soak method. Drain and rinse before using. I do not recommend soaking the cashews for longer than 8 hours (they can turn slimy).
Blending Tip: I specify a small food processor or blender because the small volume of mayonnaise is difficult to blend in a regular size food processor or blender. If you are making a large batch of the mayonnaise (e.g., double or triple), a regular size food processor or blender will work.
Fresh Garlic: I like the simplicity of using garlic powder, but fresh garlic can be used, too. I do not recommend using raw garlic; the flavor is too strong and grows stronger as the mayonnaise is stored. Instead, blanch the garlic in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes or roast the garlic. I recommend 1 to 2 cloves, to taste.
- Category: Essential Basics
- Method: Blender
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 45
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 43.8 mg
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 1.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: mayonnaise, cashews, plant based, vegan, Paleo, easy, oil-free