Calling all hedonists! It’s chocolate pudding time.
That’s right, chocolate. Uh-huh, pudding. Yup, it’s the New Year, time to revamp your diet for improved health and vitality.
May this chocolate pudding be the first step to a brand new you.
Here’s what this humble, no-cook, sugar-free, velvety, chocolate-y pudding has to offer towards your New Year’s health goals:
Yes, it is all in your head that chocolate makes you happier. More precisely, it’s in your brain: cocoa powder is rich in phytochemicals that enhance the production of various feel-good chemicals in the brain, notably serotonin and dopamine.
Whether you ate one too many marshmallow Santas (who, me? yes, me), want to re-boot your digestive system in general, or anywhere in between, the avocado in this pudding delivers. It is very high in both insoluble and soluble fiber, while still being very gentle on the gut mucosa. And there’s more: the high fiber content of avocados makes them a good detox food to lower HDL cholesterol levels and manage diabetes while the “good” fats in avocado help your body to absorbs vitamin A, a potent antioxidant that is involved in the natural detox process.
Satisfy your Appetite (for Hours)
Just one small serving of this pudding will keep you satisfied for hours thanks to the fiber from the dates and the healthy fats from the avocado and coconut milk.
The selenium in coconut reduces inflammation, but avocado is an outright anti-inflammation superstar: avocados are high in fats, true, but they are fantastic fats known as phytosterols that keep inflammation under control.
Regulate Blood Sugar
The manganese in coconut milk helps you metabolize glucose in the body to help the metabolism working at the optimum level.
I can go on ad nauseam about the deliciousness of this pudding, but I suggest following the old adage that “the proof of the pudding is in the eating.” So grab a spoon and get to it!Print
If your dates are not very soft, give them a brief soak (about 15 minutes) in hot water; drain and pat dry before using.
- 1 medium, ripe, Haas avocado
- 2/3 cup (packed) soft, pitted dates (e.g., Medjool)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened natural cocoa powder (use raw cacao powder if strictly raw)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full-fat, well-stirred)
- 1/8tsp fine sea salt
- Throw these raw chocolate avocado pudding ingredients into a high-speed blender. Start blending on slow and then crank up the blending speed to high.
- Blend this sucker until puddingy and gooooood! You might need to start and stop this a few times to get it to blend properly because the dates will require more blending than pudding recipes that don’t contain dates. If you have a good blender (AKA Vitamix or Blendtec) then you should be able to get this super smooth.
- You may need to add a tiny bit of extra water to facilitate blending. But if doing so only add TINY bits at a time! Try not to add extra water or it’ll end up watering it down and changing the consistency.
- Category: dessert
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 20.4
- Sodium: 66 mg
- Fat: 14,8 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.6 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 2.9 g