2-ingredient oatmeal cookies made with oats and very ripe bananas. They are vegan, refined sugar-free, and gluten-free. Enjoy plain or vary them in countless ways!
- 2 large, very ripe bananas (peel should have black spots), peeled
- 1 cup (90 g) rolled oats (quick or old-fashioned, not instant; GF if needed)
Optional Flavor Boosters
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground spices (e.g., cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, pumpkin pie spice)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet (parchment, foil or silpat) or lightly grease/spray with cooking spray.
- in a medium bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until almost no lumps remain (mixture should be almost liquid if using really ripe bananas; you should have about 1 cup/250mL). Stir in oats until well-blended. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes. Mix in any optional ingredients, if using.
- Using a small cookie scoop or rounded tablespoon measure, drop rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart (they don’t really spread). Sprinkle with any of the suggested toppings, if using.
- Bake in preheated oven for 13 to 15 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch at the center. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely.
Tip: The cookies are great soon after baking, but exponentially better after sitting for a few hours (they become softer and sweeter).
Storage: Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Stir-In or Topping Ideas: 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (gluten-free or vegan, as needed), 1/4 cup chopped dried fruit (e.g., raisins, apricots, cranberries, cherries), 2 to 3 tablespoons cacao nibs, 1 to 2 tablespoons nut butter, seed butter or coconut butter, 1/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
For thumbprints: Prepare as directed. After scooping dough onto baking sheet, make an indentation in each cookie; fill with 1/2 teaspoon jam, preserves, jelly, apple butter, or nut butter. Bake as directed.
- Category: Cookies, Energy Bites
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 big cookie
- Calories: 55
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: 2 ingredients, oatmeal cookies, vegan, banana, oat, refined sugar free, gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, oil-free