Zesty tomatoes and chiles, warm spices and earthy lentils are the stars of this lively vegetarian mug. A trio of toppings — yogurt, almonds and fresh mint — heightens the wow factor.
- 3/4 cup rinsed drained canned lentils
- 1/2 can (10 oz) reduced sodium diced tomatoes w/ green chiles (e.g., Ro-Tel), undrained
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt (or non-dairy yogurt if vegan)
- 1 tbsp chopped roasted salted almonds
- 2 tsp chopped fresh mint
- Suggested Accompaniment: Warm naan, pita or flour tortilla
- In a large (16 oz) mug, combine lentils, tomatoes, cumin, ginger and hot pepper sauce.
- Microwave on High for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until hot. Top with yogurt and sprinkle with almonds and mint. Serve with warm naan, if desired. Eat!!!
Prep Ahead Option
Combine the lentils, tomatoes, cumin, ginger and hot pepper sauce in the mug; cover and refrigerate. Measure the yogurt, almonds and mint into separate a small airtight containers; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Lentil Options: If available, you can use vacuum-packed lentils in place of canned ones. They are typically available in the produce section, near the tofu products.
If canned lentils are not available , look for vacuum-packed lentils, typically available in the produce section, near the tofu products.
Substitute Beans: Canned black beans or pinto beans can be used in place of the lentils.
Mint Substitution: An equal amount of chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, or minced fresh chives, can be used in place of the mint.
Freeze Leftover Tomatoes & Lentils: Freeze the remaining tomatoes and lentils in small seal-able freezer bags for future use. Be sure to label the bag with the contents. Store for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator or microwave before using.
- Category: Microwave Mug Meal, Lunch, Dinner
- Serving Size: entire recipe
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 372 mg
- Fat: 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 45.6 g
- Fiber: 13.7 g
- Protein: 27.5
- Cholesterol: 0