Super-easy, microwave granola made in a mug with minimal ingredients.
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup, honey or agave nectar
- 2 tsp water
- 2 tsp oil (e.g. olive oil, melted coconut oil, butter if not vegan)
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts or seeds
- Optional: 1 tbsp chopped dried fruit (e.g., raisins, apricots, cranberries)
- In the large mug (14 to 16 oz), mix the maple syrup, water, oil, salt, oats and nuts until blended.
- Microwave on Medium (50%) power for 2 minutes. Stir, making sure to stir up any syrup on the bottom of the mug. Microwave on Medium (50%) power for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes longer until oats are golden brown.
- Mix in the dried fruit, if using. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes to cool before eating.
*Sugar in place of syrup: An equal amount of sugar (any variety) can be used in place of the syrup; add 2 tsp more water along with the sugar.
*Spices: Add between 1/4 tsp and 3/4 tsp (1 to 3 mL) of any sweet spice (e.g., cinnamon, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, allspice) along with the salt in step 1.
*Extracts & Zest: Consider adding a few drops of vanilla or almond extract to the syrup mixture, or 1/2 tsp (2 mL) finely grated citrus zest (e.g., lemon, orange or lime).
- Category: Breakfast, Cereal
- Serving Size: entire recipe
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 12.3 g
- Sodium: 237 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.3 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg