Delectable spinach and artichoke dip, made healthy and even more scrumptious by using cashew cream in place of the dairy. It is naturally vegan and Paleo, too!
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (84 g)
- 1 cup plain nondairy milk (I used almond)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1–1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, squeezed of excess water
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and roughly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the cashews with enough water to cover by 1 inch; let soak at least 3 hours or up to 24. Drain and discard water. In a high speed blender, process the drained cashews, milk and 1/4 cup water until completely smooth and creamy.
- In a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion; cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes until softened. Add the artichokes, cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the remaining ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes longer, stirring every few minutes until the dip is thickened and heated through. Transfer to a serving vessel and serve while warm.
Storage: Store the cooled dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 85.3 mg
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.7 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg