- 2 cups spelt
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided use
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 lb asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1–1/4 cups frozen, shelled edamame, thawed
- 3 (packed) cups kale leaves, roughly chopped
- Juice and grated zest of 2 medium lemons
- 2 cups (packed) flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Place spelt and salt in a medium pot. Add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until spelt is tender and water is mostly absorbed, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add cardamom and coriander, cook and stir 20 seconds Add asparagus and broccoli; season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Add vinegar and stir until evaporated, 1–2 minutes. Stir in edamame and kale, Remove pan from heat and stir until kale is wilted, 1–2 minutes. Add vegetable mixture to bowl with spelt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Once salad is cooled, mix in lemon juice and zest, parsley and remaining olive oil.
(1) The salad will keep, refrigerated in a covered container, for up to 3 days.
(2) Additional Nutrition Notes:
Low in saturated fat
Low in sugar
High in dietary fiber
Very high in vitamin A
Very high in vitamin C
- Category: Salad
- Serving Size: 1/8 of salad
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 323 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2
- Carbohydrates: 34.6 g
- Fiber: 7.6 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg