I am a happy camper when I have an assortment of homemade, ready-to-eat, healthy snacks on hand in the refrigerator and pantry. If I am especially ravenous, it’s reassuring that I can (1) reach for any number of options, (2) devour one or more of the options, and (3) feel satisfied and empowered no matter what I choose.
Having such options on hand would never happen if the recipes are not quick and easy. The quicker and easier, the better!
A perfect example: my super-simple, and healthy, Green Pea Hummus.
The recipe is:
*Made with 5 ingredients
*Ready in 5 minutes
To make, you’ll need the following: 1 can chickpeas, 1 and 1/2 cups of frozen green peas, 2 to 3 cloves garlic, a lemon (both the zest and juice), and 1/2 cup of full-fat coconut milk.
The coconut milk adds creaminess and flavor (in place of oil and tahini). If, for any reason, you cannot eat coconut, just replace the coconut milk with another nondairy milk. It will not be as creamy, but it will still be delicious.
Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and whirl away! I prefer a high speed blender for hummus (I like hummus that is super creamy), but you can use what you have. Just be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl multiple times so that all is blended and smooth.
Transfer the hummus to a bowl and season to taste with fine sea salt. You can add more lemon juice, too, and if you like a bit of heat (I do!), add some sriracha (or the hot sauce or pepper your prefer).
That’s it! The hummus will keep for at least a week in the refrigerator. The creamy, fresh, vibrant flavor is wonderful on everything and anything.
Including straight off of the spoon!
So-easy green pea hummus, made with only 5 ingredients! It is healthy, vegan, oil-free, and tahini-free, yet vibrant with fresh flavor. It is ready, start to finish, in 5 minutes.
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 15-ounce (425 g) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 and 1/2 cups (200 g) frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) full-fall canned coconut milk
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- fine sea salt to taste
- Optional: sriracha
- Finely grate 1 teaspoon of zest from the lemon; cut in half and squeeze enough juice to measure 1 tablespoon.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the drained chickpeas, green peas, coconut milk, garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest. Process, stopping regularly to scrape down the bottom and sides of bowl, until completely smooth.
- Transfer hummus to a small bowl and season with salt and (optional) sriracha to taste.
Storage: Store the hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Category: Dip, Spread
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 47
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 115.8 mg
- Fat: 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg