- 1 pound curly kale, rinsed and thoroughly dried
- 1/2 cup unflavored pea protein powder
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (I used red wine vinegar; any variety will do)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the tough stems and center ribs from the kale; tear the leaves into approximately 3-inch pieces.
- In a large bow, whisk the protein powder, marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, vinegar and salt until blended and smooth
- Add the kale leaves to the bowl, dredging the leaves in the paste so that it adheres–really get your hands in there! Mush the leaves around so they are well-coated.
- Arrange the leaves in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (they should look fairly dry and will seem squashed/flat–that’s normal!); turn the chips over.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes longer (check periodically), until they are completely dry and stiff and the coating is golden brown. Cool completely in pans.
Make It Vegan!
Replace the Parmesan cheese with 1/3 cup nutritional yeast seasoning or flakes.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 485 mg
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.7 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 11.3 g
- Cholesterol: 3 mg