- 1/2 cup whole pitted dates
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup natural vanilla vegan protein powder (see variations for whey protein as well as no-protein powder options)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flake coconut . finely choped
- Soak the dates in 1 cup hot water for 10 minutes; drain, reserving liquid.
- In a food processor, process the dates, chickpeas, oil, vanilla and salt until mixture is smooth.Add the protein powder, pulsing until blended into a cohesive dough (add a small of reserved soaking water if needed).
- Place the coconut in a shallow dish. Scoop and shape the dough into 1-inch balls; roll in coconut, pressing gently to adhere.
Storage: store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Whey Protein Alternative: Replace the vegan protein powder with an equal amount of natural vanilla whey protein and add 2 to 3 tablespoons rolled oats.
No Protein Powder Option: Replace the vegan protein powder with an equal amount of rolled oats.
- Category: snack, athlete fuel