- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil or parchment, leaving an overhang to remove the bars; lightly spray or grease the foil/paper.
- Pulse 3/4 cup of the oats in a food processor until finely chopped but not powdery/flour.
- In a medium , heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and honey. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and and sugar is melted. Add the butter; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes longer until mixture is bubbling and begins to thicken slightly.
- Remove pan from heat and immediately stir in the salt, vanilla, ground oats and remaining oats until blended. Spoon and spread into prepared pan, tamping down firmly with back of spoon or spatula to compact the bars.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 24 minutes for more chewy flapjacks, 25 to 30 minutes for crispier flapjacks. Set on a wire rack and cool completely in pan set (the bars will firm up as they cool).
- Use paper/foil overhang to remove bars to a cutting surface. Cut into 16 bars, squares or triangles, whatever suits your fancy!
Storage: Store in an airtight tin for up to 3 days, or store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Vegan Variation: Use virgin coconut oil or a 1/2 cup stick of vegan margarine in place of the butter (do not use a margarine spread; it contains too much water in comparison to butter and the bars will not set up).
- Category: Energy Bar, Snack
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 10.3 g
- Sodium: 102 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.1 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 1/6 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg