Homey and healthy chickpea flour banana cake that is grain-free, gluten-free and vegan! Ready, start to finish in 30 minutes.
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) nondairy milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 and 2/3 cups (200 g) chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar (or granulated sweetener of choice)
- 1 and 1/4 cups mashed very ripe banana (about 3 large)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or vegetable oil of choice)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9-inch square metal baking pan. lightly grease or coat with nonstick cooking spray
- In a small bowl, combine the nondairy milk and lemon juice. Let stand 5 minutes to curdle.
- In a large bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, curdled nondairy milk, banana, oil, and vanilla until well blended. Add banana mixture to the flour mixture in large bowl, stirring just until moist. Stir in walnuts, if using. Spread evenly into prepared pan, smoothing top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Storage: Store the cooled cake in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 1 day, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: Cake, Bread, Snack
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 14.6 g
- Sodium: 138 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.9 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan cake, chickpea flour, egg-free, dairy-free, chickpea flour banana cake, grain-free vegan banana cake, gluten-free, grain-free