- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1 cup freekeh (cracked green wheat)
- 1/4 cup fresh fresh lime juice + 1 tbsp grated grated lime zest
- 1–1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1–1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Seeds from 1 large pomegranate
- 2 cups packed flat leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup packet mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400F. On a large sheet pan, toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season with salt and pepper and then roast for 25 to 30 minutes until tender. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, bring 2-1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Stir in the freekeh, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand (still covered) for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, transfer to a large bowl, and cool completely.
- To the cooled freekeh, add the remaining oil, cooled sweet potatoes, and all of the reminaing ingredients, gently tossing to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at room tmeperature or chilled.
Feel free to use any other cooked, cooled grain (about 3 cups) in place of the freekeh!
- Category: Salad
- Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 104 mg
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.8 g
- Fiber: 7.2 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg