It’s day 7 of the 7 days of Chickpea Flour Cookies!
Chickpeas in chocolate cookies? Oh yes! What better way to top off a week of chickpea cookie ideas than with a doube dose of everyone’s favorite sweet treat.
Chickpea flour works especially well with deep flavors, such as chocolate, molasses, dark brown sugar, and spices, which makes it a perfect ingredient to add to your cold-weather baking repertoire. And although these cookies are a bit of an indulgence, they still offer a host of health-promoting qualities–antioxidants from the chocolate and cocoa powder, fiber, protein and and minerals from the chickpea flour, and healthy fat from the coconut oil–that more than justify eating two for dessert.
I can also testify that grabbing and gobbling a cookie to go makes great pre-run fuel on a cold winter morning (instant energy + cheer!). Be sure to bring one for your running partner, too 🙂
These cookies have rich, cake-like middles and crispy-chewy edges. They remind of cookies that always arrived on a neighbor’s (much anticipated) Christmas cookie plate; I recall a few squabbles breaking out between me and my siblings (an, occasionally, my Dad) over who would get the last one!
Happy baking, everyone!
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chickpea flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg, coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla and (optional) espresso powder until blended. Add the flour mixture, stirring until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into 1-inch. Space 2 inches apart on prepared sheet and flatten slghtly with palm.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes until set at edges (centers may still look slightly soft). Let cool on sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to cooling rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 101
- Sugar: 8.0 g
- Sodium: 64 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.3 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 8 mg