- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons (45 grams) chickpea flour
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1–1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup neutral-flavor vegetable oil
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in the chickpea flour and salt. Cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low; cook, whisking, for 4 to 5 minutes longer, until thickened. Transfer mixture to a smal, heatproof bowl; cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Transfer the cold chickpea mixture to a food processor or blender. Add the oil, lemon juice, mustard, and cayenne; process until blended and very creamy. Transfer to a sealable jar or other covered container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Use as you would any other mayonnaise or aioli!
Aioli: Use extra-virgin olive oil for the oil and add 2 small cloves garlic, mashed into a paste, when blending all of the ingredients in a blender.
Lemon Mayonnaise: Increase the lemon juice to 2 tbalespoons and add 1-1/2 teaspoons of finely grated lemon zest when blending all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Category: condiment
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 43
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 47 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.9 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg