So-satisfying vegan gluten-free oat bran muffins made with oat bran, oat flour, applesauce & cinnamon. They are oil-free, only 110 calories each, a cinch to make, and super delicious, too!
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180 g) uncooked oat bran (certified gluten-free, as needed)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 and 1/3 cups (325 mL) water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats (certified gluten-free, as needed)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper or foil liners. Lightly spritz the insides of the liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the oat bran, coconut sugar, flaxseed meal, water, applesauce and vanilla. Let soak for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, process the oats into a fine flour. Add the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; pulse once or twice to combine.
- Add the oat flour mixture to the oat bran mixture, stirring until completley blended. Divide the batter evenly into prepared cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and the center is firm to the touch. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack, then remove muffins to rack and cool completely.
Storage: Store the cooled muffins in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days, in the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tip: Oat bran can be found where oats and hot cereal are shelved in the supermarket. It s often labeled “oat bran cereal” or “oat bran hot cereal,: Take a look at the label to confirm, but it should say “Ingredients: Oat Bran.” and nothing more.
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 215 mg
- Fat: 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.5 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: oat bran, oats, oat flour, oil-free, gluten-free, muffins, vegan, egg-free, dairy-free, easy, high fiber, vegan muffin, oat bran muffin