- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, flaxseed meal, and salt. Whisk in the water until smooth. Let the batter stand for at least 10 minutes or for up to 1 hour.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet (I use a well-seasoned cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Remove it from the heat and lightly grease the pan with oil of your choice. Whisk the tortilla batter.
- Pour about 1/3 cup batter into the pan, quickly tilting in all directions to cover bottom of pan. Cook for about 45 seconds, until it’s just golden at the edges. With a spatula, carefully lift an edge of the tortilla to test for doneness. The tortilla is ready to turn when it is golden brown on the bottom and can be shaken loose from the pan. Turn the tortilla over and cook for 15 to 30 seconds, until golden brown.
- Transfer the tortilla to a cooling rack or clean kitchen towel to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining batter, greasing the skillet and adjusting the heat as necessary between tortillas, stacking the cooled tortillas between sheets of waxed paper to prevent sticking.
Tip: You can vary the thickness of the tortillas by changing the amount of water added. For thicker tortillas, reduce the amount of water to 1 to 1-1/4 cups; for thinner tortillas, increase water to 1-1/2 to 1-2/3 cups.
Storage Tip: Refrigerate the tortillas between sheets of waxed paper, tightly covered in plastic wrap, for up to 5 days or freeze, enclosed in a resealable plastic bag, for up to 1 month.
- Category: bread, tortilla, wrap
- Serving Size: 1 tortilla
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 2.0 g
- Sodium: 99 mg
- Fat: 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 4.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg