Healthy baked falafel, made in a muffin tin! It is quick and easy to make, as well as naturally vegan and gluten-free.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup (packed) parsley or cilantro leaves and tender stems (about 1 small bunch)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tahini (or 2 tbsp olive oil)
- 1–1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1–1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Optional: pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease all 12 cups of a standard muffin tin.
- In a food processor, process oats, parsley and garlic until very finely chopped. Add the drained chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, salt and (optional) cayenne. Pulse until grainy/pasty but do not puree. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Shape the mixture into 12 equal patties (roughly 3 tablespoons per patty); place in prepared cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove tin and, using a butter knife, flip over each patty (it’s very easy, and quick). Return tin to oven and bake for 10 minutes longer until falafel are golden brown. Let cool in tin on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes. then flip out onto rack. Serve warm or room temperature.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 2 months.
Additional Nutrition Notes: No cholesterol / High in dietary fiber / High in manganese / High in phosphorous / High in vitamin C
- Category: Lunch, Snack
- Serving Size: 1 falafel
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 58 mg
- Fat: 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.8 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg