- 6 whole pitted Medjool dates
- 1 15-oz can white beans, rinsed and drained (I used Great NOrthern beans)
- 2/3 cup vanilla or chocolate rice protein powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (or nut/seed butter of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted or softened
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional: 2-3 packets organic stevia (optional, to taste)
- Optional: candy sprinkles
- Optional: natural color sprinkles (such as these_
- Line all 12 cups of a standard muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- In a small bowl, cover dates with enough hot (not boiling) water to cover; let soak 15 minutes. Drain, reserving1/4 cup soaking water.
- In a food processor process the dates and beans until blended. Add the protein powder, cocoa powder, peanut butter, coconut oil, and salt, Process until blended, stopping and scraping down sides of bowl 1-2 times, and adding a few tablespoons reserved water as needed until mixture is light and fluffy (like frosting!). Taste for sweetness; if desired, add additional stevia to taste.
- Scoop about about 3 tablespoons batter for each round (it will be fluffy, but still easy to handle, like a soft clay); shape into a ball, then flat slightly into a puck shape. Place in prepared cups. If desired, sprinkle with sprinkles. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours until firm.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the rferigerator for up to 2 weeks or freezer for up to months. I highly recommend freezing these if you plan on packing them for a few hours; otherwise pack them in a cool or cold environment as you travel with them 🙂
Variation: An equal amount of coconut butter (not oil) can be used in place of the nut or seed butter.
Protein Powder: I am not sure how these will work with other vegan protein powders, but it should be fine; you may need to tweak it a bit, but little more. However, these will be best when made as written, with rice protein powder.
- Serving Size: 1 round
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 3.9
- Sodium: 53 mg
- Fat: 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.3 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 8.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg