Following in a trend I have been setting for myself for, oh, the past 5 years or so, I offer you a holiday-themed recipe…post-holiday.
Unlike past holidays, I will no longer beat myself anymore for this shortfall. Instead, I’m giving my tendencies a positive spin. I like to celebrate a holiday on the holiday, and, even better, continue enjoying the holiday for several days after. It takes a lot of pressure off of making a single day perfect (this is an especially good trick for birthdays; I highly recommend the birthday week).
Hence, to commemorate this 4th of July week, I offer my (patriotic) blueberry muffins, made vegan, flourless, and gluten-free with the help of oats and raw cashews. They are:
*Super-easy to make
The blueberries this summer have been nothing short of glorious. I have been eating them by the fistful and freezing hoards, too.
But there is something uniquely luscious about blueberries baked into a sweet, tender batter. The heat intensifies the flavor, and the contrast between golden crumbs and inky berries in a single mouthful is nothing short of summer bliss.
This easy muffin recipe is just such bliss. The batter could not be easier to prepare: simply blend oats and raw cashews in a blender until completely smooth (along with sweetener and leavening). The cashews deliver the fat, as well as structure to these tender, egg- and gluten-free muffins.
Divide the batter between lined muffin cups, sprinkle with the blueberries, and bake. Avoid the temptation of filling the cups too full; use all 9 cups (if overly full with batter, these muffins will not rise properly).
Blueberries work best in this recipe, but blackberries and raspberries are great, too. Strawberries have too much water to work in this recipe exactly as written, so save those for eating alongside. However, other summer fruits, especially stone fruits (e.g., apricots, nectarines and peaches), will work swimmingly in place of the berries.
These are worth turning on the oven, no matter the heat and humidity–happy eating, everyone!
- 2 cups rolled oats (certified gluten-free, as needed)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 9 cups of a standard muffin tin with foil or paper liners.
- In a blender, process the oats, cashews, syrup, vanilla, salt and baking soda until completley smooth. Divide between the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle blueberries on top of batter in each cup.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 17 to 21 minutes until risen,light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in tin and then transfer muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Storage: Store the muffins in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 1 day, in the refrigerator for 5 days or the freezer for 6 months.
- Category: Breakfast, Bread, Muffins
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 9.7 g
- Sodium: 72 mg
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg