Vegan protein bars that are savory instead of sweet! Made in a muffin tin, without protein powder, they have 153 calories and 6.5 g protein each.
- 1 cup nondairy milk (or dairy milk, if not vegan), divided use
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
- 2/3 cup rolled oats (certified GF, as needed)
- 1/3 cup seeds or nuts (I used pepitas, hemp hearts & sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned white beans
- 2 tablespoons tahini or almond butter
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence or dried Italian herb blend
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, finely shredded (use small holes of grater)
- 3 tablespoons additional seeds or chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or spray 8 cups of a standard size muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 3/4 cup of the milk and flaxseed meal, Let stand at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, process the oats and 1/3 cup seeds/nuts in food processor until finely chopped (but not powdery); add to bowl with flaxseed meal.
- In same food processor, process the beans, tahini, and remaining 1/4 cup milk until smooth; add to flaxseed mixture along with herbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper and carrots, stirring until blended.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepare cups, smoothing tops. Sprinkle with seeds or nuts, gently pressing into batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown at edges. Transfer to cooling rack and cool for 20 minutes, then remove from tin and cool completely.
Flax: I am sorry if you cannot eat flaxseed meal; there is no immediate substitute here. You would need to experiment.
Add more protein: You can easily add some unsweetened (plain) protein powder to these; you will want to add a few more tablespoons of milk, or water.
Vegetable Variation: An equal amount of zucchini or other finely grated/chopped vegetables (e.g., parsnips, sweet potato, spinach, kale) can be used in place of the carrots.
- Category: Portable Power Puck, Snack, Breakfast
- Serving Size: 1 round bar
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 162 mg
- Fat: 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 1 mg