DIY, no-bake Clif Bars, made without grains or soy protein isolate! They taste better than the original and have 181 calories and 6,.3 grams of protein each.
- 1 packed cup whole pitted dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup nuts or seeds (e.g., sunflower seeds, almonds, pepitas)
- 1/4 cup creamy nut or seed butter (e.g., almond, peanut or sunflower seed)
- 2 tablespoons nondairy milk
- 1–1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- In a small bowl, soak the dates in enough warm water to cover; let soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pulse the coconut and nuts/seeds in a food processor until chopped into small, grain-size pieces (they will not be uniform in size–a good thing). Transfer to a large bowl.
- Drain the dates and place in food processor along with nut/seed butter, milk and vanilla. Process until smooth. Add the drained chickpeas. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl several times. Transfer mixture to bowl with chopped coconut mixture.
- Mix the date mixture and coconut mixture until blended. Mix in the flaxseed meal and 2 tablespoons coconut flour. If mixture is not stiff enough for bars, stir in an additional tablespoon of coconut flour.
- Divide dough into 10 equal portions and shape into 10 bars on a parchment lined baking sheet. Chill for at least 30 minutes until firm.
Shaping notes: You can press the dough into and 8 or 9-inch pan and cut into bars (cut the square in half, then each half into fifths), Alternatively, divide the dough into 12 pieces and press each into the greased/sprayed cups of a muffin tin ( portable power pucks).
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or freezer for up to 3 months.
Variations: Customize these all you like! For example, add 1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips or chopped dried fruit along with the flaxseed meal. For gingerbread bars, add 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (as well as some chopped candied ginger, if you like).
- Category: Power Bar, Snack
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 10.1 g
- Sodium: 112 g
- Fat: 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.8 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg